Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Artistcellar Sacred Heart Series Stencils on canvas

Today I am using the Sacred Heart Series of Artistcellar stencils again.  I have decided to do a series of canvases on water color paper and then attach each of  the panels onto a small 6" by 6" burlap canvas.  There are four stencils in the Sacred Hearts Series, the one I'm using today is called "Sacred".  This is the finished canvas, if you would like to see how I made it I've included a tutorial.  It might be a good time for you to grab an appropriate beverage and get comfy there are quite a few photos in this process.


To begin with I cut a piece of 6" by 6" water color paper from a piece that had been stamped off on previously and applied a light coat of gesso to the paper.  Next I applied Distress Inks in Scattered Straw and Tumbled Glass colors and wiped them with a baby wipe until the colors were blended.  When the ink was dry I laid the stencil on top of the paper and outlined the stencil with my Stabilo All pencil.  This creates shading when it reacts with the Distress Inks.  Using an applicator I applied Tumbled Glass ink to emphasize the heart and the rays.



I decided to use Delicata gold for the crown.  The stamp shown here is from IndigoBlu, it is a crackle design that I rolled in Vintage Photo Distress Ink and applied randomly to the canvas.  When all the inks were dry I sewed the edges on my sewing machine using a straight stitch and a zig zag stitch.  The edges of the panel were inked with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.


I wanted the edges of the panel to be more pliable so I used my water brush on the back of the canvas to soften the edges of the paper.  To distress them further I used Tim Holtz's distress tool which breaks the paper down even further.  I inked the ragged edges with Water Can Archival Ink.


Now I wanted a little color so I brought in my "irRESISTible" Pico marker in Morocco which I applied to the crown.  I used my Pico marker in Silver to outline the heart and give it a melted metal look.  The three heart shaped rhinestones were glued on with 3-in-1 adhesive as were the Sprocket Gears.  I felt like the gears gave it almost a Steampunk flavor.



At this point I glued the panel to the burlap canvas but I felt it needed a few more embellishments.


I added a few more gears, stamped a few more times and it was finished!


Thanks so much for stopping by today, I hope to see you again next Tuesday for stenciling ideas.  Take care~  Hugs, Renee xx

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous canvas, Renee! Definitely got a steampunk flavour, and I love the dimension from the Pico markers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Love the gears and the little pop of red.
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great stencil, and your technique with the inks and pencil is wonderful!!! Love your canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous canvas, Renee! Love the steampunk vibe and the stitching, neither of which takes away the boldness of the Sacred Heart! Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. I want to tune in next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous canvas - love the guide to creating too have a lovely sunday x

    ReplyDelete