Friday, April 4, 2014

Take It, Make It Challenge for April~ Bottles!

The theme this month from the Craft Stamper Take It, Make It Challenge is Bottle Art.  The technique is to use a bottle somewhere in your project.  This could be an altered bottle, using small bottles/vials in your project, or using a stamped image of a bottle.   I must admit that for me this was a real challenge as I have never altered any bottle other than the obvious alteration....taking it from full to empty.

I looked at Pinterest for some inspiration and the only thing that really caught my eye were the dolls made from bottles.  Never having been a doll person I thought this would be a way to channel my inner child and do something whimsical.  When I think whimsy I usually think Marie Antoinette. Other than to buy a pretty pink bottle from Michaels for $3.00, I decided to work with items completely from my stash .  I'll show you my finished project and then follow it up with a short tutorial in the event that you want to see how she was put together.


Washing the bottle before construction makes sure that there is no trace of  residue that might show later.  I worked on the headpiece first.  The head is from a collage sheet and was attached with a strong glue to one of those pins from Idea-ology, it is sharp enough to penetrate the cork.  The bow was tied and glued to the cork piece.



I added Distress Stickles to the flowers in her hair and the pearl around her neck.  The skirt is made from the elastisized ribbon in the Idea-ology ribbon pack.  I measured the ribbon, cut it and sewed it to make a circle.The trim with beads was applied on top of that with red line tape then the unit was put in place.


I used a stamp called "Forget Me Not" for the bodice of her "dress".  It was stamped on 90 lb watercolor paper, colored with pens and cut out.  Instead of arms I used the wings from Pam Carriker called "I Will Soar" and stamped them with Neon Purple, Pink and Orange inks from Tsukineko. It was easy to secure the winged heart image to the bottle with the strong clear double-sided red line tape.  I glued a large red rhinestone heart to the stamped image.



Just one more detail.  I used Tim Holtz's rub-ons,  which by the way work perfect on glass, to put just one word, "Imagination" at the bottom of the bottle.

With that my altered bottle doll is finished!


I hope that you will check out the challenge going on at the Craft Stamper Take It, Make It site.  The beauty of a challenge is that it gets you out of your comfort zone and helps you to experiment with things you never would have even thought of doing.  That's what challenges do for me anyway.  Thanks so much for stopping by, please leave a comment if you have time.  I love to read what you think.  Take care, talk to you soon!
~Renee xx

12 comments:

  1. LOVE this Renee.....and I don't know why I didn't notice the rub ons before....that is such a cool idea!!! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous Renee, the colour is gorgeous, and I never would have thought about using a rub-on on glass. Elizabeth xxx (wish Michael's would come over to the UK)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee, your bottle doll is a delightful Marie! Love this new rub-on idea for glass. I love the beaded ribbon and lace skirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Marie Antoinette bottle, Renee! Great idea to use rub-ons too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sitting here with my mouth open (not attractive!) as this is stunning and I love the fact you utilised a bottle from your home instead of dashing out and making a purchase.
    This is pretty, arty and whimsical .... what a trio!
    Renee, I will try and catch-up with you over the weekend.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many great ideas here! Great imagination and the detail is so thoughtfully put together. It is good to know that the rub ons go on glass too.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her! She is gorgeous and well tickles me pink ;D

    I too love that you used what you had on hand! Clever, Renee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her! She is gorgeous and well tickles me pink ;D

    I too love that you used what you had on hand! Clever, Renee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Renee! How fun is she! I love Marie and so glad you used her as your inspiration- she is marvelous! And the Pink bottle- Yummy! hugs")

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is a beauty indeed Renee, loooove her!!!
    Big hugs
    Tracy
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the BOTTLE bomb!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! What a show piece! The pink, the Marie, the heart....AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely brilliant. Love love love it. xx

    ReplyDelete