Friday, March 14, 2014

Craft Stamper~Take It, Make It Challenge~Halfway Reminder





The tag created for today is for the Craft Stamper blog challenge.  The theme of the challenge is Monoprints created with acrylic blocks.  We are at the halfway point of the challenge so there's a little reminder on the blog.  For more details about the March challenge and to enter one of your amazing creations just pop over to the Craft Stamper blog.

I started this large, Ranger 5 1/8" by 10 1/2" manila tag, by creating the background.  I wanted a steampunk style tag using the colors of aqua green, deep yellow and light magenta.  Artist's Loft acrylic paints were perfect for this and I used a large acrylic block along with a few stencils to get the different patterns with the paints.  I will share a few photos showing the process.

A stencil and some scraps of paper cut to make more patterns are laid on the acrylic block before applying the paint.

Carefully lift off the stencils
Press the tag firmly into the paint on the acrylic block, you can get several pulls off of this large block.

This is the initial first layer of colors

I added more color and texture to the tag using the same acrylic block

After each color of paint was applied I allowed some drying time.  I wanted the colors to maintain their integrity and not blend all together.  It is messy but really fun!  When the paint dries it is time to add the details like outline the figure with a Fude Ball 1.5 black pen, some stamping with StazOn Jet Black ink and Tim Holtz's Remnant Rubs, metal gears and tickets.


For the ribbons at the top of the tag I used Dylusions spray inks to get colors that coordinated with the tag.  A little white gesso pushed through a stencil to tone it all down a notch and pull the colors together.  The edges were distressed with Ranger's Vintage Photo ink as a finishing touch.


Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope that you feel inspired to try this technique and link your creation for all of us to see at the Craft Stamper's blog.  Have a great day, talk to you soon ~ Renee


11 comments:

  1. Hi Renee, I loved seeing how you put this all together. Love the colours and the steampunk theme! Steampunk meets journalling - awesome!!!
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so ding dang clever and creative! LOVE this tag! What a great idea to add the precut shapes. Another post I must flag to get back to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee I love that, never thought about masking off sections, so clever! Elizabeth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vintage Photo is one of the most versatile "colors" I have ever met, Renee, and I love how you have used it here! I also love how you have created the perfect ribbons for your tag. Brilliant composition, both in the background and your focal images in the foreground! Well played, Renee, well played! Off to visit Craft Stampers! Thanks for the weekend inspiration, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly stunning Renee from start to finish!!
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Big hugs
    Tracy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Renee- Very cool tag! I love that you dried between colors as the results really do keep their value! Beautiful and Fun! ")

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that's a stunning tag, and such a clever technique with the stencil scraps - brilliant and beautiful!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever! I love the idea of making two art forms and using the tag along the way. What a cool idea-thanks Renee-I love being messy ;D
    Your colorful art brightens my day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tag, I love it Renee!!! And your tutorial is perfect, I love the technique you have used and detailed so well. I'm keeping it by my side for later, I will certainly have a try on it. Bises!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really interesting technique!!! I must try this!! Kind of like a Gelli Plate but working on a block. The finished tag is awesome!

    ReplyDelete